It’s 1st October here and the Road to Kona is getting shorter and shorter as the Ironman World Championships approach. I just wanted to check in and give you a quick update on how my preparations for the World Champs are going.
Here’s the rundown:
- Physically, I’m feeling good! Definitely fitter than I was at the same time last year. The fact that I haven’t done as many IMs as I had to do last year has certainly helped – physically and mentally I’m much fresher this time around. I’m feeling at the top of my game.
- Well and truly on the taper now after a big final week. Hit all my key sessions and they all felt good. The last build run felt very smooth. I guess the thing is that when you do big sessions like that and back up from them okay, you know you’re doing alright. 180km on the bike last Saturday… it was good to get that last long ride out of the way.
- I’ve been back in Port Macquarie for the last few days, which always feels comfortable and it’s nice to be enjoying Mum’s cooking!
- It’s one day before I jump on the plane for Hawaii and I’ve been doing my least favourite activity – getting organised to travel. Still it’s got to be done and even that, in it’s own way, is part of the mental preparation for Kona.
- After the exploratory expedition to Kona last year, I’ve got a pretty good idea of how things work there. I’m looking forward to the vibe, meeting the fans and doing some work with my sponsor Giant as they release the new bike. Exciting stuff!
I’ll keep you posted as the last week unfolds and make sure you keep an eye out for a great article from my Strength & Conditioning coach, Kriss Hendy, which is coming up on the website soon.
That’s it from me… next stop, Kona! In the meantime, as they say on the Big Island, “Mahalo!”
PS. If you haven’t already done so, sign up now for some great little insights delivered free into your inbox.